Friday 3 September 2010

Eventually getting round to it!




OK - been a bit tardy in getting down to this but as the build is now a little underway thought I ought to do a bit of catch up.

The delay was due to me finishing a Model Slipways kit, Drumbeat of Devon. Very happy with it although the windows were a bit of a pain.

Now on to Atlantis (what shall I call her?)



We are caravannners and as the vessel is a bit big to cart around I opted to start with assembly of the Dinghy, step 23 but never mind!
I read on another blog that the Robbe supplied veneer is rubbish but thought I would try to use it anyway - big mistake!

The precut pieces for the gunwales have the grain running vertically which is odd and they are also impossibly fragile. Additionally, I can't see the point of gluing veneer to thin ply for the thwarts, what can be done with the edges?
A visit to the excellent Ipswich model shop (Galaxy Models) provided some thin stripwood for the gunwales and some sheet for the thwarts and bouyancy boxes in the bow and stern. By the way, Robbe term these bouyancy boxes but don't fill them in so I filled them in anyway. I am happy with the way this little project turned out but I still have problems trying to paint a perfect waterline, I used Trimline tape on "Drumbeat" but it is starting to separate. I must get this right before I have to paint the Atlantis hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment