Friday 3 September 2010

Planking the Deck






This is what is happening now.
I found an excellent item about planking and caulking options http://shipmodeling.net/vb_forum/articles51-Deck-Plank-Caulking-Mock-up.html

I have used thread before and achieved a great result but with much thinner planks and I am not confident about using a marker or pencil so I opted for black art paper glued to the edge of 6 planks at a time. To start with I was going to use Bostik for this but on a sample it seemed to smear and stain the plank surface when sanded. I have opted for PVA which is working great provided that the planks are separated with a scalpel after a few minutes. If left overnight they form a solid block which is very hard to separate, I KNOW!

I have stolen the idea of using darker coloured wood for the edging planks and have continued the idea across the stern. I do not like the sound of the Robbe suggestion to finish the planks flush with the stern. Perhaps they have a reason which will become apparent when I get that far.

My only suggestion is to have a bottle of superglue remover to hand as I have found it impossible to avoid a build up on my fingers. Perhaps this has criminal potential for eliminating fingerprints?




No comments:

Post a Comment