Friday 3 September 2010

Starting the hull










The first steps of preparing the hull seem to be quite straightforward.

The very first thing I did was glue a bar around each side inside the hull packed off the side with spacers. This is so that I can cable tie the wiring to it later. Those little self adhesive pads always seem to fall off eventually and spoil a carefully executed layout.
The only change I made in the early stages was to use glass fibre tape 25mm wide to strengthen the joins as I am very aware of the stresses that will be caused by the keel weight.
The motor box does not need to be 100% watertight now that the auxilliary motor is permanent and not a retractible affair. Also most of the holes in part 3.1 are not required with the new design, unfortunately I did not think of that until I had formed them and wasted an hour searching for the captive nut 3.6 which I eventually concluded is not now required or supplied. I have however added 2 holes to the bulkhead to allow me to get at the motor mounting screws should I ever need to remove it.
I wanted to get as far as possible before fitting the weight for ease of handling but realised that if I fitted the deck beams 8.2 & 8.3 I probably would not be able to get it in. I do however strongly advise fitting and blending in the rudder concave strip 7.2 before fitting the keel.
I note that other builders have been concerned about the strength of the deck to support the masts and I have seen a couple of improvements that other builders have made which look good. What I thought I would do is forget this issue for now and install some styrene pillars dirctly from the deck beams to the keel when I am sure that I can position them without fouling anything later on.

So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment